VooDoo Derby Dollz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VooDoo Derby Dollz

VooDoo Derby Dollz Roller Derby Association

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Leadership Tips to Grow on

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Boots
Admin
Boots

Leadership Tips to Grow on Empty
PostSubject: Leadership Tips to Grow on   Leadership Tips to Grow on Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 10:30 pm

Sometimes a leader is born, sometimes made.. but skills still need to be taught. I am going to put usefull articles here that will help ones that have leadership skills to make them better. Or have eyes opened. Lots of growing!! LOVE IT!!

7 Common-Sense Tips for Managing People

1.You set the standard: Work as hard, or harder, than your employees. Be a role model when managing people. Strive to know more than your best employee (or best sales rep) about your product line, industry, and their jobs. This doesn't mean you have to know everything. Still, educate yourself. I frequently hear in my seminars, "My boss has no idea what I really do in my job. The challenges, the pressures I face, and the time constraints."

2. Be an effective communicator: Communicate the good, the bad, and the ugly at least weekly. In study after study, employees and business leaders overwhelmingly want a leader who is "straightforward." I hear this over and over in my leadership seminars and workshops worldwide. Good interpersonal skills are crucial in managing people.

3. Be authentic, be real: The #1 trait people want to see, to willingly follow their leader is honesty. How can you expect them to look up to you if they don't trust you? Leadership is all about honesty and integrity.

4. The top 5 things: Ask your people point blank, "What are the top 5 things I can do to help you succeed?" For example, if they are salespeople, what can you do to motivate them to be out in the field instead of in the office?

5. MBWA: Management by walking around. Be accessible to them. Get in the trenches with your team. Nothing will gain respect for you more than that. This is another trait I consistently hear from my participants that they want to see in their leaders, and from their management team.

6. Be willing to fight for them: But before that, set the standard so they know how far they can push something before they ask for it. And when is enough...enough.

7. Get the facts first, listen: Never question their integrity without first gathering all the data. Have an open mind. Let them tell their side of the story. Just because you acknowledge what they say doesn't mean you have to agree.

This leadership article on managing people represents the opinions of a large cross section of employees, most of whom are managers themselves. In presenting approximately 100 leadership programs a year worldwide for the past ten years, these are the top 7 "common-sense" traits I hear employees most want from their managers. I refer to them as common-sense as it seems most leaders would know how important these people skills are to possess. Yet, many in management have risen in the ranks due only to their "hard skills" or technical skills. Many managers are promoted to management positions without any formal training in the area of communication and managing people. As a result, they can be too overbearing, or just the opposite, non-confrontational.

If nothing else, develop your communication and conflict-resolution skills. It'll save you money in the long run. As a manager, it's imperative to know how to manage people. The courts are filled with hotheads, people who said the wrong thing at the wrong time. Or worse, said nothing at all, and enabled the behavior of a difficult employee until it reached a crisis point.

"Sow an act, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny." G.D. Boardman

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/243920
Back to top Go down
https://voodooderbydollz.canadian-forum.com
Boots
Admin
Boots

PostSubject: Re: Leadership Tips to Grow on   Leadership Tips to Grow on Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 10:50 pm

The Five Rules Of Engagement

Last week I wrote about both the need and approaches for management to communicate bad news openly and honestly. Wes Ball commented on the need to keep employees involved, which is what I was planning to talk about today.

The language of employee involvement keeps changing, so if you want to do more research, “engage,” in its many forms, seems to be the term of choice for now.

There are five basic rules that must be followed when your focus is to create, enhance or increase engagement.

Rule One: Engagement is based on trust. If employees don’t trust their management then management can forget about engaging its employees.

Rule Two: Engagement requires involvement. Asking for employee input after the decision(s) are already made is a con and breaks trust.

Rule Three: Engagement is based on fairness. Treating a select minority as royalty and the rest like replaceable dirt disengages everyone (including the royalty) and breaks trust.

Rule Four: Engagement requires management to make its decisions first for the sake of the company, second for the sake of the group and third for the sake of themselves. Done in any other order break trust.

Rule Five: Engagement requires courage, authenticity and genuineness (see Notes). Any form of lie/cheat/steal/trash breaks trust.

And while Rule One is the primary rule it is also the corollary of the other four.

Engaging your people, whatever your level of management, starts in your MAP (mindset, attitude, philosophy™).

No matter how well taught, implementing the mechanics of engagement can proceed no further than your belief in, and adherence to, the five rules.
Back to top Go down
Boots
Admin
Boots

PostSubject: Re: Leadership Tips to Grow on   Leadership Tips to Grow on Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 11:01 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leadership Tips to Grow on   Leadership Tips to Grow on Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Leadership Tips to Grow on
Page 1 of 1