VooDoo Derby Dollz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VooDoo Derby Dollz

VooDoo Derby Dollz Roller Derby Association

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Take a Knee explained

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Boots
Admin
Boots

Take a Knee explained Empty
PostSubject: Take a Knee explained   Take a Knee explained Icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 1:19 am

Copied from the rollerderby yahoo group.. Interesting read,, had to share

Posted by: "bitchesbruze" bbruze@gmail.com bitchesbruze
Mon Nov 7, 2011 6:58 am (PST)

There is a process of taking a knee which can lead to a split pack that is being employed if a team's initial jam start strategy is leading to a stalemate and they want to get the jam going. The whys and wherefores of that will take a few more keystrokes, but envision that you've decided to play to own the back wall, and so has your opponent. Now the jam start whistle has blown, but neither team wants to get across that pivot line because it will give up the rear. The period clock is only running down to the advantage of the team that's ahead, so the team that's behind now really needs to get the jammers released.

So long as there is a pack by definition, as long as a skater taking a knee wouldn't destroy the pack, there is no penalty for taking a knee for any reason.

So the strategy goes thusly:

Some number of skaters from the team that wants to get the jammers released kneel, while their teammate(s) remain upright, in play, and part of the pack. The remaining skaters from the kneeling team then skate forward <10' in front of their opponents. Now there is no pack and both teams - the ones that skated forward AND the ones who refused to skate forward AND the ones on the floor - are responsible for reforming the pack, which will happen as soon as the kneeling skaters stand. In the meantime, the referees will have called "no pack" and the jammer start whistle will have blown.

I can't explain to you why taking a knee to destroy a pack versus skating forward to destroy the pack is any more illegal, except that's how this is being called. I guess, with skating, both the skating forward and the not skating forward teams are equally responsible for pack destruction as a pace has not been set, but kneeling cannot be an established pace, therefore kneeling to destroy the pack is not allowed.

What this strategy does is it legally splits the pack skaters to get the jam started while positionally not (necessarily) giving up the back by all blockers from one team skating forward.

Hope that helps "clear things up."

Bitches Bruze
Pioneer Valley Roller Derby
Back to top Go down
https://voodooderbydollz.canadian-forum.com
Boots
Admin
Boots

Take a Knee explained Empty
PostSubject: Re: Take a Knee explained   Take a Knee explained Icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 1:21 am

In rollerderbycoaches@yahoogroups.com, "quickshotkitty" <quickshotkitty@> wrote:
> >
> > Creating a no-pack before the whistle:
> > * All of team A takes a knee.
> > * Team A is more than 10 feet from team B.
> > * Two groups, two from each team (or 3 and 1) are more than 10' apart (split pack).
> > * And others I'm sure.
> >
> > Creating a no-pack AFTER the whistle, legally:
> > * Team A starts skating forward to 11' and immediately stops when 'no-pack' is called.
> > * Three of team A take a knee, then the fourth skates 11' away and immediately stops.
> > * And others I'm sure.
> >
> > This is the way I explain the legality of creating the two no-pack situations AFTER the whistle examples I listed above to our newer skaters: To 'destroy the pack' there needs to be a defined speed that the pack is travelling. One slows down drastically and they've destroyed the pack; one speeds up drastically and they've destroyed the pack. But, at the beginning of a jam there cannot be a defined pack speed so no team has drastically changed the speed at which they were travelling. Therefore, as long as both make an immediate effort to reform the pack there won't be any penalties.
> >
> > I hope that helps.
> >
> > -Kitty
Back to top Go down
https://voodooderbydollz.canadian-forum.com

Take a Knee explained
Page 1 of 1