VooDoo Derby Dollz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VooDoo Derby Dollz

VooDoo Derby Dollz Roller Derby Association

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Warm up? Knee injury prevention

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Boots
Admin
Boots

Warm up? Knee injury prevention Empty
PostSubject: Warm up? Knee injury prevention   Warm up? Knee injury prevention Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 12:23 pm

Looking at other league on what kind of program they implemented to help prevent the level of knee injuries like we are seeing within our own league. I am copy and pasting some things from other leagues. we can add this idea to our coaching program..

In my league, we have recently implemented a program we call 10 and 10s. We've been doing it daily for about 4 months and so far, so good. We really consider it more of an injury prevention program b/c we had had a whole rash of knee and ankle injuries. Most of our physicians were saying the same thing, we are not well balanced athletes.

We spend the first ten minutes of practice and the last ten minutes of practice working on Knee and Ankle injury prevent type exercises. We have been doing this every single league practice. A lot of the stuff we do is in the PEP program (http://www.aclprevent.com/PEPExercises.pdf) .

We do the first ten on skates and usually do lots of one legged balance work with mini squats and ladder type stuff. The last ten minutes are off skates since there are some exercises you just can't modify to do on skates.

20 minutes overall of non-skating conditioning doesn't seem like a ton to the participants so no one really gripes too much but it is making a big difference in everyone's overall conditioning. 10 minutes of jogging mixed with core work every practice can go a long way for players who never do anything but skate.

Isabelle Ringer #360
San Diego Derby Dolls
www.derbydolls.com

Our league does an off skate routine for about 20 minutes before every practice to make sure we are good and warmed up before skating. Sometimes we do stairs, light jog, plyometrics, and good stretching. We have seen a big decrease in the amount of injuries as well.

We have an off-skate practice once a week that we do all different kinds of things at - like kickboxing, plyos, cardio, and even fun teamwork stuff like kickball.

Switchblade Rosie
Oklahoma City Roller Derby (OKCRD)

I think off skate training is absolutely essential to continued development as a skater.

Most vet skaters do not like using their skate time for off skate work, so my league doesn't do it very often. However, during our new recruit bootcamp last year, recruits did a ton of off skate exercises, to help build necessary leg/core strength. During that time vets would do off skate for half the time, to give the recruits rink time to themselves, and vice versa.

I've been skating for almost 4 years, and I will say that all of my significant improvements after my first season have been due to off skate workouts. Plyometrics (P90X), yoga, running (esp. sprints), SPIN CLASS (big props for physical & mental conditioning!) and weightlifting have all become a regular part of my non-derby workout routine. If I could afford it, I'd be doing Crossfit as well.

I believe that if you're relying on derby practice to give you a workout, then you're not doing enough outside of practice to condition yourself. Derby practice should be your time to work on skills, teamwork & strategy.

Totally my biased opinion only, does not necessarily reflect the view of my league's coaching staff Wink

Midlife Crashes
Omaha Rollergirls

There are many great things to do off skates to enhance your rollerderby team. Dubbed "Land Kills" by Houston Roller Derby, or by there more widely known name Land Drills, are used to build core (usually during off season), build team structure, and get a good work out.
There are soooo very many things that can be utilized for off skate practices!
When I look for things to do off skates I first stop and think..... How can I relate these things back to Roller Derby, what lessons do they hold?
Things like if someone on your league has old golf clubs you can use, find a driving range and instead of paying dues to a skate rink buy several buckets of balls, and let the girls hit them... explain how the weight transfer from left and right through your core and follow through are very important for to bring back to your game when you are on skates. Before or after hitting balls you can run hills, agility ladders, do core work in the form of sit ups pull ups, push ups, etc., I particularly like SPRINTS. As in the game of derby you very rarely get the opportunity to run/skate for a long time. So I usually start with stations like Station A Kettle Bells (many different exercises do some research), then sprint to next station, then boxes (either step ups or jumps) or use boxes as exaggerated steps like cutting a skater off on the track, then sprint, Cones are great, tall cones can be used to for the same exaggerated steps, or small cones are great for squat running, I'll usually lay a square of cones one in each corner, and either do figure eights while squatting and stepping forward or backwards to really practice getting low, or around the box in the same manner. All the time and things I do I really try and think how they will help on the track and during the game. There are so many ways to mix it up including things like finding a Ballet Lesson for your team to help with agility. Core work seems to be the favored off skate exercise as well as running hills but Poll your team and find out what they're thinking, and what activities they enjoy outside of derby. Use these to build derby into their everyday life structure. Team building skills can be done also. Use pivots to help guide blindfolded girls through cones, help them utilize all their skills by removing some of them.

Keep your mouthguards in....

Mr. Kaymen Godditt
HRD
Back to top Go down
https://voodooderbydollz.canadian-forum.com
Boots
Admin
Boots

PostSubject: Re: Warm up? Knee injury prevention   Warm up? Knee injury prevention Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 12:25 pm

I was looking for more of actual amount of time and requirements. Like what are you doing as a team every week? What do you require if anything?

^V^ Licks

At least once a week, usually on our Sunday Practice, our Travel Team and our Travel Team In Training go to our friends dojo, who happens to teach jujitzu and crossfit (not lucky enough to have one of these dont worry any park can do) and put in one extra hour. Once a month usually the last sunday, we run a two or three hour land drill. I know some of our home teams run a 60/40 split for their weekly practice that usually lasts about 2 1/2 hours. The actual percentage is determined by what the girls really need for a while the home team was doing only a 80/20 split due to the amount of new girls on the team that just needed skating time.

PS. The off skates stuff is once a week, but optional. Most of the team does go
though - especially once we started seeing a big difference in skill level
between those that were going and those that weren't! Keep it fun so that
everyone just wants to go!

Brim Stone
GGRG
ToRD

This (below) is the kind of stuff our team does as well. We do off skates
training once a week (1 hr session) with a hired trainer (hired at a derby
discount, of course!).

One of the most important things we did was invite our trainer to see our games
- now he relates the exercises we do (mostly same as below) to derby. Lots of
work with "explosive" strength & agility building. Also, our trainer is
teaching us pre-game off-skates warm up to get our muscles firing - for faster
reaction time when the game starts.

We also got a nutritionist to help us with our meal-planning (especially around
games). That was "off-skates" training that really really helped my team!

Brim Stone
Gore-Gore Rollergirls
Toronto Roller Derby League
Back to top Go down
Boots
Admin
Boots

PostSubject: Re: Warm up? Knee injury prevention   Warm up? Knee injury prevention Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 12:27 pm

For us here in SD, optional does not really work. If off-skates training is
optional, no one would come. That's why we implemented 20 minutes in every
practice. You do not get attendance credit for the practice if you do not do
the first 10 minutes and the last ten minutes.

This mandatory off-skates part of every practice is really helping to normalize
strength training and injury prevention in our league.

Isabelle Ringer #360
San Diego Derby Dolls
www.derbydolls.com

I love the 10 and 10, too. Great recommendation for preventing joint injuries!

My team has found it a little hard to dedicate track time to off-skates
training, though, so we've tried to implement required at-home workouts. We ask
our skaters to post their extra workouts on the Yahoo Group calendar, which is
working pretty well. We are able to recognize and celebrate the hard-chargers
and we will eventually use that information to put our rosters together.

Here is a great workout that we give our skaters (SPARTACUS!) - they can get
through it in only 30 minutes (including warm-up & stretching) and it requires
little equipment. There is a poster of it in an old issue of Men's Health
magazine, but it's also on-line:
http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/high-intensity-circuit-routine/index.php

www.online-stopwatch.com helps!

My partner and I used to run league off-skates sessions (circuit training) every
other week, but the training schedule gradually shifted. Nowadays, our fresh
meat skaters spend their first several weeks doing an hour of off-skates
training at every practice.

Anybody else have solutions for balancing skate time with off-skates time?

love & bruises,
VEXINE

Emerald City Roller Girls
Eugene, Oregon

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Warm up? Knee injury prevention   Warm up? Knee injury prevention Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Warm up? Knee injury prevention
Page 1 of 1